Natures Way
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animal oriented forum. Natural diets for your pets. Holistic approach to medicine. Looking at their wild cousins. And general chat of course.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Orphaned rats or mice

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Orphaned rats or mice Empty Orphaned rats or mice Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:47 pm

violet

Anonymous

I'm currently trying to nurse 2 rat/mice and I don't know what they are to be honest. I have them on kitten formula and using a dropper, syringe, and also a kitten feeding set. I'm in Scotland, I can't keep these little ones as my OH is home soon (working away, back in a couple of days) and he knows I have them but is convinced killing them is "for the best". I would never. HELP. Crying or Very sad

2Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:38 am

LucyTin1

Anonymous

Hi Violet. mouse2

Whereabouts in Scotland are you? Mouse

Where did you find/get these babies from?

I'm also in Scotland. Hope to hear from you soon.

Lucy Bluebird

3Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

violet wrote:I'm currently trying to nurse 2 rat/mice and I don't know what they are to be honest. I have them on kitten formula and using a dropper, syringe, and also a kitten feeding set. I'm in Scotland, I can't keep these little ones as my OH is home soon (working away, back in a couple of days) and he knows I have them but is convinced killing them is "for the best". I would never. HELP. Crying or Very sad

Hi Violet,

Firstly, you are doing absolutely fantastically if you're getting them to take from the dropper. Kitten forumla is the best thing that you could be giving them at this time too.

If possible take a photo with your mobile and either post it to the forum, or text it to me (07982247735) and I'll post it for you (if it comes through .. they don't always). I'll see if I can identify which species it is; if I can't I'll know someone who can.

The best thing to do once you know what species they are is to find a lactating doe in your area. As such it'd be useful to know which city you're in/near.

Where did these guys come from?

Good luck,

Nim

https://naturesway.forumotion.com

4Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

Sorry, should have said sorry. I don't know how much you know of handrearing little ones, so here's a few pointers for now:
- if they're completely hairless then they're probably new borns. When you feed them you should see a little white mark start appearing under the skin of their stomachs; this is a milk band .. you can see their stomach filling up.
- if they have started to get fur already then they're probably over 4 days old (for rats anyway); they still need to be fed every two hours though.
- try getting some EMP egg food from a pet shop. If they're willing to eat on their own already it'll be a huge bonus to you. Though they'd still need topping up with kitten formula too.

Things to look for to work out how old they are:
- how much for they have
- are their ears still stuck to their head?
- are their eyes open?

5Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 pm

violet

Anonymous

Hi both and thanks for the kind messages Smile
I'm in Edinburgh, there's a vet hospital near me but I don't think they could help. They have a little fur today but eyes are still shut. Ears are stuck yes, no eyes as said. I don't know if I need to try find a rescue but if I can't, is getting them PTS as I would a pet best? I don't want to i really don't but I cannot bear my OH killing them. He's not an animal lover, I would do anything for them! Crying or Very sad

6Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:59 pm

violet

Anonymous

Also my friend found them, her cat brings backs little furries but she had dumped these 2 outside her back door and she came home from work, cleaned them up, got them warm, and brought them over. My friend can't take them either! pale

mew4

7Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:21 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

violet wrote:Hi both and thanks for the kind messages Smile
I'm in Edinburgh, there's a vet hospital near me but I don't think they could help. They have a little fur today but eyes are still shut. Ears are stuck yes, no eyes as said. I don't know if I need to try find a rescue but if I can't, is getting them PTS as I would a pet best? I don't want to i really don't but I cannot bear my OH killing them. He's not an animal lover, I would do anything for them! Crying or Very sad

Ok. Well I'm fairly sure there are wildlife rescues in Edinburgh. I'm having a look now, and will ask around.

It would be preferable for a vet to euthanies than for your OH to do whatever he would do, yes .. though it would be a shame for either to happen really Sad

Ok, a few places for you to try.
The PDSA (Peoples Despensary for Sick Animals) should know if there are any wildlife hospitals in your area. Their number is: 0131 443 6178

Tiggywinkles isn't in your area, but they should have a list of hospitals that are: 01844 292292

I have no idea how near you this place is, but if they're not near enough to help they may know someone who is: 01854 612166 (http://www.hwht.org.uk/).

Meanwhile I'll ask around and see if I can find someone through other means than Google.

Sorry it's so late (I'm actually away from home at the moment).

Nim

8Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:56 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

So far the two replies I've had are:

Trent Park
Cockfosters Road
Barnet EN4 0PS

020 8292 5377
www.wras-enfieldwildlife.org.uk

Scottish SPCA
Braehead Mains
603 Queensferry Road
Edinburgh
EH4 6EA
Tel: 0131 339 0222
Fax: 0131 339 4777
enquiries@scottishspca.org

9Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:36 am

violet

Anonymous

The sspca said they couldn't take wild animals and risk the health of the others in that center right now. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes PDSA said I can't, I'm not on benifets therefore I can afford and get any treament needed. I'm not letting OH kill them, no matter what. He is coming home Sat morning. I'll try calling around, thank you so much Nim Smile

10Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:46 am

LucyTin1

Anonymous

Hi Violet. How are the little ones today?

I can personally reccomend in Aberdeen. It seems far but they would come and collect them from you.

They are an animal rescue but have previously orphaned wild rat/mice. If however they couldn't, they might know of other wildlife rescues in Scotland.

I hope that this helps.
Lucy.

11Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:49 am

violet

Anonymous

Hi Lucy.... thanks for the reply. I'll get in touch with runkyanimalrescue I suppose... I'll also call some of Nim's links Smile

12Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:51 am

LucyTin1

Anonymous

Why has it deleted the link and name of RunkyAnimalRescue?
I think it may not allow links.
Their email is
runkyrats @ hotmail .co.uk
No gaps.

Lucy.

13Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:52 am

LucyTin1

Anonymous

Please forget that post!! I just read on their website that the email is actually now.

runkyanimalrescue @ googlemail.com

No gaps
Lucy.

14Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:56 pm

ratscall

Anonymous

I don't know why it deleted it. That's naughty; I'll have to see if I can change that in settings. Sorry about that (very very new forum). I'm also not sure why I don't have the 'quote' option when replying to messages. Stoopid forum .. need experienced admins!

I'm glad they're doing well Violet. I've been thinking about the poor little things. You're doing an absolutely fab job you know Smile It's soooo hard to do what you're doing. I hope you find somewhere for them today though, so you can stop worrying Smile

I'll keep sending mojo for the little guys.

Nim mouse2

15Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

ratscall wrote:I don't know why it deleted it. That's naughty; I'll have to see if I can change that in settings. Sorry about that (very very new forum). I'm also not sure why I don't have the 'quote' option when replying to messages. Stoopid forum .. need experienced admins!

I'm glad they're doing well Violet. I've been thinking about the poor little things. You're doing an absolutely fab job you know Smile It's soooo hard to do what you're doing. I hope you find somewhere for them today though, so you can stop worrying Smile

I'll keep sending mojo for the little guys.

Nim mouse2

Doh! It would help if I actually logged in when posting!

Nim

16Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:42 pm

violet

Anonymous

Runky came and took them. They will take great care i know,
SO glad I found here thankyou so much lucy and nim Boing Boing

17Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

violet wrote:Runky came and took them. They will take great care i know,
SO glad I found here thankyou so much lucy and nim Boing Boing

Awwww fantastic. Thank you so much for updating us Smile

BackCat

18Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:45 am

violet

Anonymous

Oh it is all right. The rescue have confirmed, that it is definitely RATS Very Happy I've owned mice for years, but never rats. They said they are starting to open their eyes now too Smile They don't think they can be put back into the wild again, and will have to be pets... and if so, I really wannnt to take them! Very Happy But are rats hard to take care of?
Hmmm! Like a Star @ heaven X

19Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin
Admin

violet wrote:Oh it is all right. The rescue have confirmed, that it is definitely RATS Very Happy I've owned mice for years, but never rats. They said they are starting to open their eyes now too Smile They don't think they can be put back into the wild again, and will have to be pets... and if so, I really wannnt to take them! Very Happy But are rats hard to take care of?
Hmmm! Like a Star @ heaven X

No not at all. I've kept rats for 12 years and run a rat rescue lol. They're the best pet ever. If you'd like to do the research on how to keep rats before they come back to you I suggest joining and looking at these forums:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/
http://www.itwor.co.uk/forum/index.php

For me the most important things that I always tell people:
- rats are miserable if kept alone (but you've got that sorted out already).
- wood shavings or pellets can cause serious detriment to their health (the phenols in pine corrodes their respiratory tract).
- be aware that they're prone to tumours and respiratory ailments, so be registered with a vet before you need one. Though in theory wild rats shouldn't suffer from these as much as domestic rats.

I hope this helps Smile

Nim

20Orphaned rats or mice Empty Re: Orphaned rats or mice Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:06 am

whiskers_in_the_ear

whiskers_in_the_ear
Tit
Tit

Yay well done you, I'm so glad they were saved.
It would be unkind to let them go into the wild to be honest once they have been hand raised and so it is likely they will be raised as pet rats, wildlings are often harder to tame and handle as natural instinct is stronger but i've chated to several people that have done it Smile
Let us know how it goes Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum